domingo, 24 de agosto de 2008

Random thoughts on being here, and being american

Its the 208th anniversary of Entre Rios on Monday, which is interesting to think about what was going on in the US in 1800, and here Entre Rios was just getting started. So in many ways I'm very impressed at how far they've come. But this is more about how far I have come. (Not to be selfish or anything). I was just writing in my journal today, and the prompt was about the hard times you've come through to get to where you are, and so I started thinking back through my life. I won't bore you with the details of all my trials and sufferings (and the good stuff too!), and I don't think they have all led me to this one point in my life, like the songs all say. But I don't think I could be here and content and happy without them. So my point is, as much as I complain (I gotta let it out somehow) and even though I have my moments, I really do love it here. Its kind of scary to think how quickly this year went, and how quickly the next will go, and then I'll be back, which makes me both excited and sad. I might actually have to figure out what else I want to do with my life. Eek! Its also been interesting, and refreshing, to step out of the America Sucks culture. I mean, if we are honest with ourselves, there's a lot of room for improvement in our treatment of the world and our own citizens. But its all too easy to talk about how bad we are at those things, or whine about the political situation or whatever, even while we do our own little part to help others. Coming here, I had to think about how I really felt about being a US citizen, seeing as how one of our goals is to promote understanding of America on the part of our host country friends. Did I really want to come in and say I felt like the US was awful? (no) But would I be lying if I said I thought we were doing a great job in the world? (yes) So what to do? Ultimately, I decided one of the best things I could do was be a good person, as best I can, admit that while there is room for improvement, there are people who care and are working for change also. And remain neutral whenever asked my opinion about Bush or Iraq. So cue the music, I love that I can be proud of where I came from, even as I admit it needs work. The capacity for change is there, maybe easier for some than others, and much more difficult to do collectively, but it needs to happen. So go out and save the world, people! Ok, I'm off the soapbox.

No hay comentarios: